Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lights Out

This whole week we have had pretty miserable weather in Hanoi. It's been colder than normal and raining all day. Usually when it rains here it's an annoying spray, so light that you can really only feel it on your face. It's been raining heavily the past four days, which makes everything very muddy and slippery and has caused me to take cabs to and from work almost everyday. One day when I was trying to hail a cab and getting soaked in the process, a girl drove up to me and handed me a plastic poncho, another example of how helpful the people are here.

With this weather has also come a lot of power outages. We lose power periodically at our dorm, but it usually only lasts for ten minutes, or if it lasts longer, we are informed of it ahead of time. When the electricity is shut off it's to save money and energy. But this last week the power has been shut off repeatedly and for long periods of time, because it is considered dangerous to have power running during thunderstorms.

On Tuesday we had a pretty bad storm while I was at work, and about five minutes after the storm began all the power was shut off around the city, including the 22 story building my NGO is in. We didn't have any electricity or internet for the rest of the day, so we all sat around our couch and talked in the dark. The women at work were all very excited to have time to speak with me, because they are always so busy that we only get the chance to talk at lunch. They had a lot of questions about what I thought of Vietnam, and were very happy to hear that I love it here. Chi, a 24 year-old staff member, confessed to me that she was very jealous of Huong because we get to talk all day, and she is able to improve her English and learn about American culture.

This same day I decided to start giving Huong English lessons. She was very excited when I offered and made us shake hands to indicate it was a deal. I think we are going to start Saturday, I have no idea what I'm doing but hopefully the internet can lead me in the right direction. They have the most trouble with 'the' (they almost never use it when they should, and then use it when they shouldn't. Examples : I am going to pool, Social change is important to the society) and also with choosing the right preposition. Of, with, to, on, for, and at are all used interchangeably. So I hope to work on that with her. And pronunciation.

Also during the power outage, Huong was talking about Tim Howard, the American goalkeeper for the World Cup. He's bald, and Huong confessed that she really likes when guys are bald. She also taught me that Santa Claus used to be skinny and wear blue, and it is only because of Coca Cola that we have an image of a red, fat Santa Claus.

She also asked me if I ever get angry, because she thinks I would never get angry or upset because I am "always nice and happy". I found this ironic because most people find my facial expressions to be scary, intimidating, or upset most of the time, even though I am not usually feeling that way. This made me happy because I have been working very hard to have a more pleasant look on my face for years now. Progress!

After this discussion she made me make angry faces for her so "she could imagine when I am mad".

Today lunch was particularly fun. First, they asked if I would ever come back to Vietnam, and said if I did they would help me to find an apartment and more volunteer work. I told them I plan to come back eventually, although I didn't know if it would be anytime soon. Huong promised to visit me in the United States in no less than twenty years. I told her I would see her much sooner, because she is planning on getting her master's in London. I am really glad that I will be able to help her with the application process and also to secure scholarships, because she won't be able to afford any of the tuition or living expenses. She plans to go in the next two years, and I hope I can fundraise for her to help with the cost. She is very bright and I think it would be a great help to her family and her own future if she was able to get this degree.

Also there is a general consensus that I do not eat nearly enough during lunch, and all of the staff members are afraid I will lose weight (how terrible...). I find it odd that they are worried I will be thinner, because I weigh significantly more than all of them, probably including an employee who is six months pregnant right now. Truthfully I don't eat that much at lunch, but it is because I can barely stomach white rice anymore. A lot of the food here is delicious, but the food at our dorm is not particularly great, and is mostly made up of rice. So now when I eat rice I can't get down more than a few spoonfuls, which is complete blasphemy to them, because they eat two big cups of rice with every meal. Except breakfast, when they eat rice noodles. Today at lunch they tried to trick me into eating more, by saying they were worried it would go to waste and would you "please please help me eat some Lisa", all while laughing and giggling in Vietnamese... not so sly. Especially considering five minutes before they told me they were afraid I was losing weight.

Lan also told a really funny story about her daughter. She told her Mom she felt very bad for a few children in her class and that during the school day she had helped them. Lan prompted her to go on, telling her how great it was that she helped them and asking what she did for them. Her daughter said, well there were a few kids who couldn't eat all of their food (common problem in Vietnam, some people are just destined to be uber-small here), so she finished all of their meals for them. Lan told her to not do that again, but she thought it was very funny. Which it is. Lan said that Huong should be friends with her daughter so she can learn how to eat. Then she told me that Huong and her daughter weigh the same amount (88 lbs if you remember), and her daughter is only nine. Huong is 22.

Texts with Huong:

  • How abt u today lisa? I'm busy in afternoon so I can't go there. (to our work). Miss u a lot, a lot, a lot B-).
  • Morning lis, :-D. I's raining heavily. Remember to bring an umbrella, ok. If not, u cant get sick.
  • Hi Lisa. Are u ok. I've heard form Lan. :-( poor u. hope u get well soon! (from when I was sick)
  • Texts I received during the Man U - Liverpool game:
  • Oh no, we are losing 2-0. It's the end of first half. Oh my god. :(
  • :(. Hope well better at the next half. Amen.
  • 3-1, cant be worse. So so sad. Your bf ll be very satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to teach her....'holey moley' and 'geezalou'....:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete